Coq au vin
2016-07-213 on Sun 31 Jul
Coq au vin
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 good quality bacon rashers.
- 12 shallots
- Chicken legs, thighs breast etc. ** I prefer thighs
- 3 garlic gloves – finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Brandy
- 600ml good quality red wine ** Good Rioja is perfect
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 2tsp tomato puree
- Bouquet garni.
- Heat oil – fry bacon until crisp drain off
- Fry shallots until just starting to brown take out
- Fry chicken to seal again take out of pan
- Fry garlic briefly, with pan at medium heat add Brandy stirring to deglaze pan and reduce alcohol.
- Join all fried ingredients back to pan and add wine, stock, puree, bouquet garni, tomato puree and season well.
- Cover and either cook slowly on top of cooker or in oven at 165 degrees for approx. 1 hour
- Once cooked take out herbs and thicken sauce if required (2tbsp plain flour, little olive oil & butter – mix all together and add to sauce stirring all the time)
If possible, make day before for the tastes to infuse then reheat gently.
This recipe goes very well with most red wines especially the excellent blends from South Africa.