Venison & Mushroom Pie -GF
· 2 tabs oil
· 2 brown onions
· 500g venison
· 200g mixed mushrooms
· 2 celery sticks
· Fresh thyme
· 10fl oz good quality red wine
· 150m beef stock
· 1 ½ tabs cornflower
· 1kg sweet potatoes
· 1-tab wholegrain mustard
· Zest and juice 1 orange.
1. Cube venison and season well
2. Heat oil and lightly fry onions until just turning colour
3. Take onions out of pan and brown the venison in small batches
4. Add the onions back to pan with mushrooms, thyme and celery.
5. Add wine and stock bring to the boil and simmer gently for approx. 45 minutes until venison tender but not overcooked
6. While venison cooking peel and cube the sweet potatoes and steam until tender.
7. Mash the potatoes with mustard and orange zest and juice
8. Heat oven to 190°c/180°c fan oven
9. Blend cornflour with 2 tabs of water, when smooth add to casserole and stir in well (make sure no lumps!)
10. Transfer venison to an ovenproof casserole dish fork sweet mash on top of meat mixture and put in oven for approx. 25 minutes.
Served with Chateau Rouquette-Clos de la Tour